Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Last week of freedom

Yep, classes at the University of Minnesota start in one week. That means that I have 7 short days of sane life left until the craziness of law school starts. I am both excited and nervous about it, but mostly I just want to be as prepared as possible. Looking at it realistically, it's going to be a huge time and energy commitment - we're talking about 12+ hours a day of studying and classes, including weekends. Course grades are based on one final exam at the end of the semester, and there will be no easy A's. Some people who work extremely hard won't even get A's, because, again, there is a curve, and someone's gotta get C's. The only way to get an A is to be better than everyone else. And everyone there is smart and hardworking. From what I know, law school is a competitive, cutthroat environment. We'll see how things really turn out once I get there. In any case, I'm hoping to stay away from that as much as possible. Getting top grades is important to me, but I'm not going to hurt my classmates to get there (meaning I'm not going to lie to people about what I think will be on exams, and I'm not going to hide library books - don't laugh, 'cause it happens). Orientation is Wednesday through Friday of this week. It'll be nice to meet some people. Between that and whittling away at the 27 item to-do list, I should have my hands full through Labor Day. My list did have 28 things on it, but I took one of them off, since it's kind of an ongoing task. I just don't want to forget about it: stop using the word like so much.

Ciao!

2 comments:

Cole Fri Aug 31, 06:50:00 PM CDT  

So law school will be like studying for the LSAT...for 3-4 years!! My to do list has been steadily decreasing from 55 items down to ~25-30 right now. Anyhow, enjoy your last weekend of freedom; I'm glad to see someone is still blogging, well, at least until school starts, right?

NowIsTheDay Sun Sep 02, 12:41:00 AM CDT  

Yeah, we'll see how often I blog once school starts, but I think I'll still be able to keep up on it a little bit. The only thing I'm worried about is that I'm going to have nothing but the law to talk about...or at least that I won't be able to focus on anything else. That's the idea I got from orientation. And yes, law school is 3 years. But the impression I get is that although the first year is pretty horrible, the second and especially the third are mild and much less busy in comparison.

Wow, that's encouraging that someone else is actually getting things done off of their to-do list! I had gotten about 4 things done, and then I promptly thought of 4 more. It's probably time to start implementing a triage system...

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP