Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day

I'm so blessed to have the dad that God gave me. My dad has always stood by me and encouraged me. He's always been on my side. Even if he didn't always agree with what I was doing (and didn't let me just get away with things), he never stopped loving me (and I knew that). He always gives me an honest opinion. He doesn't hesitate to tell me if he doesn't agree with something. He doesn't agree with others just to avoid a discussion or a conflict. He thoroughly reflects upon things and offers a well thought-out opinion.

My dad encourages me, not only in the sense of cheering me up when I need it or helping me to look at another side of an issue when I think something is hopeless, but also in exhorting me to aim higher than I think I can reach. I tend to have a pretty modest estimation of my academic and professional faculties, and I always think my dad is overestimating my abilities. But you know what? By aiming higher, you hit a higher mark. I've done things that I didn't think I could, in part thanks to my dad's encouragement. Even if I fail in something (or many somethings), though, I know that my dad will neither change his opinion of me nor stop loving me. I don't feel as if I have to earn his approval or as if I need to impress him.

My dad is a teacher of the Word. I've been learning from him since I was a little girl, when he read the Picture Bible to me, and I still am. My dad shares his faith in Jesus Christ openly and often and exhorts others to do the same. His life, replete with testimonies of the faithfulness of God, is an encouragement. It spurs me on in my faith.

My dad is funny. He has a great personality and makes other people feel at ease. He's truly interested in other people, even though he always has plenty of ambitious projects on his plate.

It's been over 7 months since I've seen my dad, and I miss him. I can't wait to see him again.

I love you, Dad!

4 comments:

Anonymous Sun Jun 17, 12:19:00 PM CDT  

:) you are one BLESSED daughter!

Anonymous Mon Jun 18, 05:15:00 PM CDT  

WOW! I'm blessed. Thank you for such a great Father's Day gift.

It is an honor to be a dad and to serve the Lord Jesus Christ. I also happen to enjoy being a dad-- tremendously. Doing anything I can do to help you succeed, giving you worthwhile (hopefully) ideas, and talking about issues of interest to both of us is fun and stimulating for me.

Deb, you and your two brothers each have unique gifts, personalities, and callings in life. It is my goal to help you reach your highest potential and exceed me in your dreams and accomplishments. Furthermore, I am confident you will, because you have everything it takes.

I love you!
Dad

Anonymous Mon Jun 18, 06:10:00 PM CDT  

What a sweet and honoring post! FYI: I met a very cool, christian lawyer that works in our state govt. He's getting involved with the anti-trafficking movement locally, and will be participating in a small local christian anti-trafficking group that meets twice a month at Bethleham Baptist and Park Ave Methodist churches. He's gone through a lot as a christian lawyer working in govt, and probably has a lot of wise counsel. If you're interested, I may be able to connect the two of you some point in the future. I can't wait to see you!!!!

NowIsTheDay Thu Jun 21, 12:01:00 PM CDT  

Thanks, Priya! I would really appreciate that. We'll talk when I get back...

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP