Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Cauliflower au gratin

The other day, I noticed how my tastes have changed since I arrived in France. I've eaten more things here than I ever thought I would (I was a picky eater as a child - remember, Mom?). I arrived in France on a Wednesday evening (which would have been the middle of the night Minnesota time). The next day, I slept until 5pm (10am MN time). When I finally made my way downstairs, Christian (the dad) must have thought I was really hungry. "Do you like cauliflower?" he asks. "Oh yeah," I respond, expecting it to be steamed or something. He serves me up an entire plateful of some sort of cauliflower au gratin...I'm still not exactly sure what it was. I of course started eating it, but I really hated it. I could barely put it in my mouth. I didn't know what to do. I knew there was no way I'd be able to force it all down. So when he went outside and left me alone in the kitchen, I put back as much of it as I could, hoping he wouldn't see me. No one ever noticed or found out. Aside from that, I tried, ate, and liked pretty much everything that was presented to me. The week before I left Nantes, Caroline made the cauliflower dish again. This time, I actually ate a good-sized helping and almost enjoyed it. This past Sunday (it being 2 months now since I left Nantes), Dominique made a similar dish (it also had potatoes in it). I thought it was delicious and took a second helping! By the time I leave, I may be eating yellow cheese voluntarily - who knows? Although after so many months of French cheese - real cheese, I don't think I could do it. There - I have another excuse to avoid yellow cheese. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous Wed May 30, 07:31:00 AM CDT  

You go girl! Yes I remember and I think it may have been more recent than we both imagine. However, I will be happy to have you here no matter what you eat! Love you girl - MOM

NowIsTheDay Wed May 30, 09:43:00 AM CDT  

Can't wait to see you, Mom!

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP