Sunday, August 02, 2009

For my fellow word nerds

OK, so this post might be a bit much for some people (or everyone?)...but you can always skip it. :) I think it's kinda funny. Sorry it's not the inner turmoil post I promised.

The following is my Microsoft Custom Dictionary. These are the words I've added to my dictionary while using Microsoft Office over the past 2 years. You know, you get the red squiggly line under your word, you right-click to get a suggestion of how to spell it, and it gives you the option to add it to your dictionary.

The thing I've used my computer the most for has been taking notes during class. So most of these words are things that were said by a professor during a class. For me to read through it now is like a little journey through my law school experience. A lot of them are Latin words, some of which go together to form oft-used legal terms - e.g. res + ipsa + loquitur = res ipsa loquitur, a concept from first-year Torts. But res is also the term for the property that funds a trust. Some are just really old legal terms that come from who knows where: enfeoff, stirpes, replevin...

Some of them seem like they were just made up by my law profs to convey what they are trying to get across in one word: valuelessness, relitigation, analogizable, constitutionalize, discretionless, unproblematically...

If you read through the list, you'll also find some non-legal words: Facebook, Wii, and...Roadshow? If I remember correctly, one of my professors used a hypothetical involving Antique Roadshow. Ah yes, that was my tax prof. She was asking about the tax consequences of buying a vase for $1 and then taking it to Antique Roadshow and finding out that it's worth $1,000,000.

Some of my favorites: Blackacre, estoppel, Incoterms, laminectomies, superlegislature, weirdos.

If you know what any of these words mean, you might be really cool. :)

actus
adeemed
ademption
administrability
afterborn
alienage
analogizable
anticommandeering
aspirational
assetless
assignability
availment
Blackacre
bailee
bailees
bailor
blanketly
carryback
carryforward
carryforwards
complicitor
consentable
constitutionalize
constitutionalizes
contributorily
conveniens
crossclaim
crossclaimant
debenturers
decisionmaker
decisionmakers
decisionmaking
decisis
declarant
declarant's
declarants
defeasible
defeasibles
discretionless
dispository
distributee
distributees
domiciliaries
donative
donee
donee's
donees
downzoning
ejectment
enfeoff
equivocality
estopped
estoppel
estopping
estops
euros
executory
Facebook
factfinder
foreseeability
gametic
greenfield
greenfields
hypotheticals
Incoterm
Incoterms
imminency
implead
impleaded
impleader
impleads
indemnitor
insureds
integrationism
intrabranch
inurement
ipsa
irrebuttable
joinder
judicata
justiciable
Lochnerism
laches
laminectomies
lawyering
lessor
lessor's
loansharking
loquitur
Maranatha
majoritarian
malapportionment
mens
mercantilistic
meruit
minimis
misandry
misdelivery
misdescription
monetizable
mootness
movant
movant's
multilateralization
nachfrist
nonprobate
novation
offeree
offeror
operationalize
organoleptic
overbreadth
overinclusive
phytosanitary
parentheticals
parol
personalty
pretermitted
pretextual
pretextually
privity
problematics
promisee
promisee's
promisees
promisor
promisor's
proscribability
proscribable
prosecutorially
pulmonology
Roadshow
rea
recharacterize
recharacterized
recharacterizes
recharacterizing
recuse
recused
redressability
relitigate
relitigating
relitigation
rem
remainderman
remainderman's
remaindermen
remainderpersons
replevin
replumbing
republicizes
respondeat
retributivist
reus
reverter
revocatory
rezonings
romanette
routinized
scienter
scrutinous
servanthood
servient
settlor
settlor's
settlors
shalt
shochu
silty
standardless
stirpes
subclassification
subdivider
subdividers
subjectification
subjectified
subjectifies
substitutionary
superlegislature
tariffication
textualist
thereunder
tippee
tippee's
tippees
tortfeasor
tortious
transactionalism
transactionally
transsubstantive
trier
trover
trustor
unconditionality
unconscionability
unconsented
underbroad
underinclusive
underinclusiveness
unforeseeability
unliquidated
unproblematically
unrecaptured
upzoning
valuelessness
venued
vexatiousness
violative
vires
vis-à-vis
vivos
voidability
Wii
Wiis
waivable
warrento
weirdos

P.S. I took my final on Wednesday and am now officially on summer break!

4 comments:

Mama Dittmer Tue Aug 04, 08:59:00 AM CDT  

Hey Deb, I got through the D's and then just scanned the rest. I was wordoverdosing. (just thought I'd throw that one in to add to your dictionary - hee hee) I actually knew the meaning of a few. Scary that this would be an exciting blog for me to read, huh?
your Nice Neighbor

mhelm Sat Aug 08, 09:52:00 AM CDT  

haha, i thought you were Kathy at first. you did better than me Rosemary! i only got to the second word!

Christine Fri Oct 09, 02:56:00 PM CDT  

Ok. Enough with the nerdy words. How about a new post for the last year of Law school! Yeah, update please :) I like how I tell you what to do ;)

NowIsTheDay Sat Oct 10, 10:27:00 AM CDT  

Ha ha. OK. I'll do a new post.

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP