Seriously...move over!
Found this story here.
--
Emergency Responders in Danger Despite "Move Over" Law
Created On: Tuesday, 10 Mar 2009, 8:48 PM CDT
Ellen Galles
MINNEAPOLIS - When emergency vehicles are on the roadside, by law you have to change lanes to give them extra room. But, the number of squad cars hit on slippery roads is on the rise.
Emergency responders know that driving home during a snowy commute is not nearly as hard as working in it.
"Those troopers who come to work on a day like this absolutely expect to get hit, said Lieutenant Matt Langer. "They know someone will get hit, they just hope it's not them."
Back in December, along Interstate 94 and 280, a trooper sustained head, neck and back injuries after being hit on the side of the road.
The "move over" law is designed to make the job safer.
It requires motorists to move over a lane, or at least slow down when passing an emergency vehicle with its lights on.
There have been 49 state patrol squad cars hit on the side of the road since December.
That's double the amount from last year.
The state patrol attributes the increase in accidents to the increase in snow Minnesota had this year.
3 comments:
Hey, I tried clicking on the link to the story above and this is what it said, "Sorry, the page you requested was not found. Please check the URL for mistakes. You can also try using the site navigation or search tool to find your content."
Good story though and thanks for the reminder. I have to admit that I am guilty of not moving over or slowing down especially when I'm on the phone. Well now I know its against the law.
Thanks. Fixed it! :)
I got a ticket for not moving over once. Grrrrr....
Post a Comment