Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Score

So I actually got my LSAT score last Friday (earlier than expected). I haven't posted about it yet, because I guess it seems unremarkable. I don't mean that it's not a great score, because it is, and I'm happy about it. What I mean by unremarkable is that it was about the average score that I was getting on my practice tests, but it was not as high as I was scoring the last 3 or so weeks before the test. Without further ado, my score was a 166. If you are interested, you can read more info about scores here. A 166 is in the top 6%. It is a competitive score. However, the University of Minnesota's median score is 165. The U of M is currently my first choice school. I was hoping to blow their median out of the water by scoring closer to a 170 (top 3%). And I really wanted to have that "I'm on top of the world" feeling about it, if you know what I mean. But I realized that I don't need that feeling. The other thing I realized (actually, I think I already knew this, but it was reinforced in my mind) is that I don't have to obsess about things like LSAT scores, because if God is calling me to law school, He will make my way successful. Obviously, I'm going to do my very best...then the rest is out of my hands.

The test itself...it's kinda funny how it went. On my strongest section, logical reasoning (of which there are actually two), I got more questions wrong than I usually do. My weakest section (reading comprehension) went far better than I thought it had after leaving the exam. I pretty much rocked that section. And then the logic games, which was the last (and the most difficult for most people) was my best performance (one question wrong). I'm very pleased with my performance on the games section, because three weeks before the test, I was missing at least one, if not two, out of four games, which translates into 6-14 missed questions! For some reason, I could just not get the hang of these games, despite studying the techniques extensively. I came to the end of myself, and I asked God to remove whatever was blocking my mind from understanding these games. Most of you have probably already heard this testimony. Johnathan really likes the part about the "mental block," I think. Anyway, not even a week later, I was doing much better on the games (though I think my best performance ever was on test day). I came to the end of myself, I asked God for help, and He gave it to me! The most significant part of that testimony for me is that I really didn't give God the credit for giving me the ability to ace the games. I was just so happy to get over that hump that I didn't even think about the fact that I had asked Him to help me. He brought it back to my attention, though, a week or so later, when I scored very low on a practice exam. At that point, I was thinking, What will prevent me from doing this on test day? Then I remembered that I had come to this point before. I had come to the end of my abilities, and I had to rely on Him. I hope that I will keep that perspective for these next phases of my life. Maybe the test score is part of that.

To conclude, I am very pleased with my score, and I am eager to finish my personal statement and get on with the applications. If anyone has any bright ideas for my personal statement, I would not be averse to hearing them.

4 comments:

The Charlebois Wed Oct 25, 03:09:00 PM CDT  

Congratulations, Deb!
That is a good score -- and correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you take the test over as many times as you want?

NowIsTheDay Wed Oct 25, 04:11:00 PM CDT  

Thank you! I'm glad to be done!

Actually, the way LSAT scores are reported is kind of interesting. I'm going to give you a long answer.

In June of this year, the American Bar Association voted to require law schools to report the highest, rather than the average, scores of its matriculating students (those who took the LSAT more than once). Essentially, that means that schools' median scores are increasing, since they are no longer reporting the average. So some law schools have now stopped considering average scores of students who took the LSAT more than once, but many still look at the average, rather than the highest, score. But despite the fact that some schools are starting to look only at your highest score (and most schools will probably follow), it's generally recommended to take the test only once, as it makes a better impression - even if the school would look at your highest score. Beyond that, you are not allowed to take the LSAT more than three times in any two year period. And I'm out of time, since early decision deadlines are coming up. The thought of taking it again crossed my mind but then flitted out as quickly as it had come. Statistics say my score would probably increase only by a point or two.

Anonymous Wed Oct 25, 05:45:00 PM CDT  

Gooooood Jobbbb!!!(high tonal voice)

Anonymous Thu Oct 26, 09:24:00 AM CDT  

Hey! Ain't it good to be done(don't forget about that feeling
;-), and yes i know i should check out your link to perfect grammar, or whatever it's called).

Praise God for your score, for His vision for your future, and your future endeavors with International Justice Mission..hee hee - couldn't resist ;-)!

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP